Beware of Snakes
Posted on: Monday, 9 January 2017 at 12:00:00 AM
Look out for Snakes!
As the weather warms up snakes are becoming more active. Please keep the following in mind to help avoid snake bites.
- Walk loudly - snakes will general move away if they hear you coming.
- Be aware that snakes may be slower to move away in the early morning or on cool days and may be sunning themselves to warm up.
- Wear sturdy boots (and gaiters if required), look where you place your feet.
- Never place your hands into crevices or areas where you cannot see what may be lurking.
- Reduce likely habitat aspects, such as areas of cover or snake food (mice etc).
- Remember that you should never disturb or harass a snake, not only may you bet bitten but they are protected by law.
- Always have a first aid kit/snake bite kit with you in the field and know how to apply snake bite treatment.
If you have a snake problems please call the Department of Parks and Wildlife on (08) 9474 9055
Back to Search Results